1.6 home straight

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Aug 13 15:45:41 BST 2008

Mark Hammond wrote:
>>  * I believe there is a Windows-specific fix (?) which does not have
>> 1.6 in the subject but wants to be merged across.
>
> I've got 3 changes I'd like to see in 1.6 for the sake of Windows:
>
> * One has already been merged to bzr.dev and primarily relates to the test
> suite:
> http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/project/bzr/request/%3C019401c8fc2c%2421
> 18e7a0%24634ab6e0%24%40com.au%3E
>
> * The second hasn't been reviewed yet, but should be low-risk, and mainly
> involves adding 'finally:' clauses to close files and remove locks for the
> test suite's sake:
> http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/project/bzr/request/%3C01f501c8fc82%24b3
> 86c0c0%241a944240%24%40com.au%3E
>
> * The last relates to os.listdir() error handling and isn't being tracked by
> bundle-buggy, but is on the mailing list under the subjects '[RFC] detecting
> "file not found" and "directory not found" exceptions on Windows' and also
> '[MERGE] Fix a regression on Windows which doesn't allow listing the empty
> list of files in a file'

I haven't reviewed this yet (your mail client forces me to review things
in a different viewer, which is always a pain to actually get me to do it.)

>> John has kindly offered to take over as
>> release manager for 1.6 and also to run 1.7.  I hope that we (and when
>> I say we I mean you :-) can merge just the most necessary fixes for
>> 1.6, get it out, and then get back on a regular schedule.
>
> If we are trying to be *really* conservative, I'd say only the last is
> critical - the first 2 mainly involve getting more tests passing under
> Windows (but the test suite sends a fairly strong message to people, so I'd
> really like to see all 3 in...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

I'm planning on being "really" conservative. The time it takes to tweeze
out all the things to be merged to 1.6, etc, places an undue burden on
*me*, and this release should have happened 3 months ago.

I'll review the listdir() fix, as I have finally found a place that gets
hit in common operations (bzr rm file fails because of this).

The rest... I'm just going to say "1.7 will have win32 test suite
cleanups". The only reason everyone is trying to cram everything into
1.6 is because it is *way* overdue and we need to get back to 1-month
release cycles. When we had them, it was much more of "oh well, we'll
get it in 1.7".

1.5 had as many test failures on win32, so it isn't a *regression* and
thus doesn't block a time-based release.