RFC: dirstate & locks

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Aug 7 00:28:22 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 08:02 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> My personal preference (in the short term) is to just get rid of the
> OS
> lock, and go back to rename-into-place for dirstate.  On windows 'bzr
> status' with changes will fail to update the file when some other
> action
> is reading the file (but we already have that, and worse).

This has several race conditions such as
bzr commit -m foo &
bzr st
-> overwriting your last commit

and commit can be made to error too by rename-into-place being racy on
windows (can't delete open files, commit will have the file open, or
status will be renaming etc).

I think what I proposed has no problems for windows or linux of this
nature, only a 'when do we delete things' problem, and thats solvable
using one of a number of heuristics if the basic thing sounds ok.

-Rob