[MERGE] make 'push' default to parent branch

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 30 23:23:37 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 05:34 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Robert Collins writes:
>
>  > But I really do think that folk that encounter a VCS for the *first
>  > time* on their *own new project* are a pretty small subset of
>  > users.
>
> Could be, but I know I encountered both RCS and CVS because I needed a
> tool for my own projects, which were getting out of hand (dot-files in
> my home directory for RCS and then I graduated to CVS for a shared
> project).

Seems the anecdotes are piling up against my assertion - oh well :).
(Though by the time you hit CVS you were out of the 'first-time' school
too :)).

So, drawing the conversation back around; we have a default which fits
gatekeeper based workflow (assumes you can't push to the place you
branched from); it sounds like we should expect to the first VCS many
users use (I still can't quite believe this!) AND that the first place
bzr is used by them will be on their own project.

But is this a majority of uses; or just a majority of first experiences?

(One of the tricky tradeoffs is scaling up gracefully so that settings
for common use are not problematic for initial use and vice versa)

-Rob