Previewing changes

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 30 08:15:39 BST 2008

Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > I'm very attached to 'diff --using foodiffprog'. Does 'merge
> > --preview' allow specifying options to the 'diff' that is
> > performed?
>
> Not at present. It was a hard choice, but I thought it was more
> important to provide all the options of merge than all the options
> of diff, so I put this functionality in the merge command rather
> than the diff command.

I'm glad that re-implementing 'diff' was rejected, but it's not what I
was asking for. Instead, I was asking: since 'merge' can now perform a
'diff', can we provide options to the 'diff' thus performed?

That question assumes (correctly?) that 'merge' is using the bzr
'diff' command to do the 'diff' work, rather than re-implementing it.

I assume further that the answer to this question is also "no, there
is no way to tell 'merge' the options it should give to the bzr 'diff'
command".

--
 \        “I was once walking through the forest alone and a tree fell |
  `\       right in front of me, and I didn't hear it.” —Steven Wright |