RFC: shipping external-tree plugins

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 30 08:15:35 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 23:38 -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> > I think the key points from an upstream perspective are:
> >  - we want [set of bundled things] to be the default minimum install
>
> Well, as above; from a packaging perspective, this would mean
> "bzrtools [or whatever other package] no longer exists except as a
> built-in part of the bzr distribution".
>
> If that's actually the stance intended, then my gripes are based on
> misunderstanding.  I didn't read it as intending to go that far, and
> trying to go partway is riding Roman.

:P. So the discussion in London at the start of the year was roughly -
'bzr has all these great things, and users from git and other systems
*are not finding them*.' From there it went into how to get these things
to users, and how to address the simple fact that the code in plugins
may not be up to the main bzr coding standards; or that plugin authors
may simply prefer to keep their code separate.

The consensus we reached as a first-step was to just start bundling
plugins - that way users will have all these useful commands immediately
available, and we can defer decisions about merging the contents into
the bzr mainline vs keeping separate to another day.

-Rob