Deprecation warnings

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Jul 29 12:41:32 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Russel Winder
<russel.winder at concertant.com> wrote:
> I am using bzr.dev kept up-to-date daily, running from the tree.  I have
> bzrtools, gtk, rebase, svn, and xmloutput plugins installed from their
> publicized Bazaar branches.
>
> I am now getting:
>
> Format <RepositoryFormatKnit1> for http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%
> 7Ebzr-gtk/bzr-gtk/trunk/.bzr/ is deprecated - please use 'bzr upgrade'
> to get better performance
>
> which is both not something I can do anything about and very irritating
> (probably because it is not something I can do anything about).

There is another thread about this - if people are just reading from
an old-format branch what should we do?  Possibly nothing, as they may
not be able to upgrade it.  On the other hand, then they may never
realize it will get much faster if the branch owner upgrades it.

> Also I get:
>
> Format <RepositoryFormatKnit3> for
> file:///home/users/russel/.bazaar/plugins/rebase/.bzr/ is deprecated -
> please use 'bzr upgrade' to get better performance
>
> however, when I do bzr upgrade:
>
> |> bzr upgrade
> Format <RepositoryFormatKnit3> for
> file:///home/users/russel/.bazaar/plugins/rebase/.bzr/ is deprecated -
> please use 'bzr upgrade' to get better performance
> starting upgrade of file:///home/users/russel/.bazaar/plugins/rebase/
> making backup of tree history
> file:///home/users/russel/.bazaar/plugins/rebase/.bzr has been backed up
> to file:///home/users/russel/.bazaar/plugins/rebase/backup.bzr
> if conversion fails, you can move this directory back to .bzr
> if it succeeds, you can remove this directory if you wish
> starting repository
> conversion
> bzr: ERROR: Cannot convert to format <RepositoryFormatKnitPack1>.  Does
> not support rich root
> data.
> 507 balin:~/.bazaar/plugins/rebase
> |>

> BTW a bit of pedantry:  you can't move backup.bzr to .bzr until you have
> deleted the new .bzr.   (You can tell I am feeling grumpy :-)
>
> I accept that I am probably just being stupid and failing to read the
> obvious document that tells me how stupid I am being, but as a dullard
> user this is a bit of a dead end, almost Catch-22 situation, over which
> I have no control and can do nothing.

bzr upgrade should probably choose a destination format that can
actually support the features you're using.
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/252908>

> Tim suggested that I should have tried "bzr update --rich-root-pack". In fact I had tried this but just not reported it:

It seems like you're using a subtree format so you need pack-0.92-subtree.

I know we should unify the different format options and also clarify
the ui for formats.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>