[MERGE][1.6] Deprecate knit repositories.

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jul 28 18:54:07 BST 2008

Martin Pool wrote:
| On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:42 AM, John Arbash Meinel
| <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
|
|> So, one of the big complaints about how we did this with weaves, is that
|> we did it every time you accessed one, even if it was someone else's
branch.

|> So doing: "bzr branch http://someone/else" would warn you to upgrade
|> that branch.
|>
|> Aaron's (reasonable) position was that we should only warn when you take
|> out a write-lock on the branch.
|>
|> I realize that is significantly more effort (which is why we didn't
do it.)

|> But I know our users will be a little bit annoyed with having this
message.

|> That said, we've let knits regress (performance wise) tremendously, and
|> unless we restore at least the transaction cache, then I think something
|> like this is necessary.
|
| I have seen several people in the last few weeks be confused by Bazaar
| being really slow because they're pulling from a knit branch.  So for
| these people only warning when writing or when a write lock is taken
| would clue them in.  There will be people who know they want to keep
| an old branch format but I think the majority of users would rather be
| warned.
|
| I do agree that finer grained control over warnings in general, not
| just for old formats, would be useful.  But it's a separate issue.

Well, one of the annoying bits is that doing "bzr upgrade /repo" will
give the "Format <RepoFormat> for /path is deprecated - please use 'bzr
upgrade'...".

So *while* you are upgrading you get the warning that you should upgrade.

I would hope that my patch (and now Robert's improved version of it)
would actually help a lot with knit format repository performance. As we
don't re-read the index for every revision we copy. (Since we can stream
it as long as they are the same format on both sides.)

I believe that I'm noticing even 'bzr upgrade' is rather slow because of
our knit format slowdowns. (Not positive on this, it might just be my
slow machine, etc. These are older repos I'm converting over.)