[MERGE] make 'push' default to parent branch

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Mon Jul 28 10:09:01 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 02:19 -0600, Scott Scriven wrote:

> Yes, bzr has a better, more correct approach, as you've shown.
> But it involves relatively unique features.  So, users don't know
> to look for it, and would not reasonably infer its existence
> based on experience with other tools.  Their ignorance leads them
> to use less optimal methods.
>
> If they read the documentation, they might do it the right way,
> but that almost never happens.

This is an important point.  No matter how much nice stuff there is for
the Bazaar savvy, the average Bazaar user will know about 1% of what the
Bazaar developers do, and probably use less than 5% of the
functionality.  I like the goal of Bazaar:  DVCS with a consistent and
simple model.  Contrast Git.  Whilst millions of options and
inconsistencies might appeal to übergeeks, the average user just gets
frightened and hence finds ways of not doing things.

> It also doesn't help that "checkout" means something different in
> bzr than in git, hg, and bitkeeper.

Or put another way, isn't it wrong of Mercurial, Git and BitKeeper to
use the term checkout in a way that is inconsistent with CVS, Subversion
and Bazaar?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077