bzr serve --http ?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Jul 28 07:50:05 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 18:27 +1200, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Does not compute.  HTTP is not an end, it is a means.
>
> bzr serve --http should be analogous to bzr serve.  That certainly does
> not imply loggerhead, and shouldn't depend on it.

Well, I don't think it does *need* to depend on loggerhead. But I do
think that when loggerhead is installed loggerhead should work on the
http port bzr serve --http listens on.

I have a few specific thoughts here on bzr:
 - bzr serve --http should offer bzr+http not just dumb protocol support
 - we need a high performing http server implementation that is easy
   to deploy
 - we need a high performing http web viewer that is easy to deploy
 - both of these should be 'batteries included' - by which I mean that
   if a user grabs the bzr release tarball they have all the bzr
   specific code they will need.

and loggerhead:
 - loggerhead should offer bzr+http (so that people don't have to
   configure apache with careful magic just to get both loggerhead and
   bzr+http working)

It seems to me that we can put a bunch of effort into bzrlib's http
support and also separately into loggerheads, or we can consider
loggerhead (or another implementation if that makes more sense) as *the*
http implementation for bzr and focus our efforts. This wouldn't prevent
other folk working on alternative http interfaces; and we should
certainly take care to keep the layering sensible and flexible.

IMO, its fine to say 'install loggerhead' to get serve --http,
particularly if we bundle loggerhead in the tarball. Having loggerhead
in the tarball won't increase the minimum requirements to run bzr
(because of demand loading of actual engine code), and shouldn't affect
performance either (if it does its a bug in loggerhead...)

-Rob