Stable releases of Bazaar?

David Ingamells david.ingamells at mapscape.eu
Mon Jul 28 07:23:47 BST 2008

Martin Pool wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Colin D Bennett <colin at gibibit.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:41:43 +0200
>> David Ingamells <david.ingamells at mapscape.eu> wrote:

>>> Has the Bazaar team considered identifying certain releases as stable
>>> releases which will enjoy ongoing support with bug fixes being
>>> applied?
>>>
>> I just have to pipe in and say that one of the things I am very
>> impressed with about Bazaar is the rock solid stability of every
>> release--and even bzr.dev!
>>
>> So I fear that if bzr were to begin using a "stable" and "unstable"
>> concept of versions, we might get sloppier about the code going into
>> the mainline...
>>

> I don't think it would make us any less strict about what's in
> mainline, because having it be unstable would just be such a pain for
> people doing ongoing work.  However making a different stable release
> branch does take work; unless someone new is motivated to do it (which
> would be great) it would take away from forward development.  Add to
> this that you'll never please everyone with which things you choose to
> take back or not.
>
> I think for David probably the practical thing is to to wait for a
> while until 1.6 has had time to settle and then install either 1.6,
> 1.6.1 or 1.7 depending on how things pan out.

I thought 'rock solid' too until:
1) I moved our repositories over to bzr+ssh:// because of the horrible
performance with file:// to an NFS filesystem (problem is with NFS, not
bzr). Everyone had been saying such good things about the smart server
that I felt confident to make this move.
2) I upgraded a couple of repositories to pack-0.92. Everyone has been
saying that this format is much better all-round so I felt confident
making the upgrade.

Suddenly bzr v 1.5 was less that 'rock solid'. (i.e. someone has got
sloppy :-\ )

I don't know if the problems I've encountered have been solved in v 1.6,
but I do know that v 1.6beta2 has terrible performance with dirstate-tags.

My advice is to make sure that your regression tests cover all
combinations of usage (not an easy thing to achieve) since it is this
above all else that keeps developers from getting sloppy. Until you are
sure that your tests are 100% coverage it will give users confidence if
one particular release will continue to be supported and kept stable so
that they can choose when to move forward to a newer release.

If the developer who caused the bug were required to fix it then there
would be MORE motivation to get it right first time if he knew that he
might later have to fix the problem in multiple releases.