[MERGE] make 'push' default to parent branch

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jul 28 00:53:58 BST 2008

Robert Collins:

> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:32 -0600, Scott Scriven wrote:
> >
> > The parent URL may be the wrong place to push, but it may also be the
> > correct place (especially if the user has migrated from a centralized
> > system).
>
> I'm curious, if they've just migrated from a centralised system, why
> the user wouldn't use bzr's centralised workflow - 'checkout', 'update'
> and 'commit' ?

Because then they wouldn't see how wonderful bzr is compared to svn :)  The
workflows bzr calls "centralized with local commits" and "Decentralized with
shared mainline" look like a big step forward from SVN.  For the vast
majority of projects I work on that are currently SVN, the latter of those 2
models are exactly what would be used, pushing and pulling the exact same
remote branch.

FWIW, as a fairly recent SVN refugee and past light user of hg, my initial
reaction is that "push" should indeed default to the parent branch - but I'm
not yet versed enough with bzr to know if I would still agree with that in a
few months...

Cheers,

Mark