File revision info with leightweight checkout?

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Sat Jul 26 15:31:56 BST 2008

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:56:31 +0200
Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> With a leightweight checkout, do I have easy (=local) access to the
> revision number of a particular file?  I ask because my Emacs
> doesn't print a revision number in the mode line on a lightweight
> checkout, and I don't know whether I should report that.

When using a lightweight checkout, bzr fails to execute "status",
"info", or "version-info" if the bound branch is not available.
Therefore these commands must be requiring some information from the
bound branch that is not in the checkout itself.

However, I looked at '.bzr/checkout/dirstate' in my lightweight
checkout, and I noticed that the revision ID for my file is in this
file.  Therefore, I think Bazaar does have the data on which revision
of a file is in the tree for the checkout, but apparently it is not
accessible via the bzr commands.

I'll let the devs shed more light on this; the above is just based on
my experimentation.

Regards,
Colin