why does merge command sometimes not carry meta-data?

Andrew Bennetts andrew at canonical.com
Fri Jul 25 07:52:58 BST 2008

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Hi, I'm a relative newcomer to bazaar, and I'm encountering some
> behavior I don't understand. I have 2 branches for a project I'm working
> on -- one which I share with others (my flydra-trunk branch), and one
> which I keep my personal stuff layered on top (my flydra-ads branch).
> The trouble I'm having is that when I merge from -ads into -trunk,
> meta-data is lost. In other words, doing "bzr merge -r 1375..1378
> ../flydra-ads" in flydra-trunk seems to apply just a plain diff patch.
[...]

Unfortuately, this is the expected behaviour.  See
<http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-guide/index.html#pseudo-merging> for
example.

If you are “cherrypicking” just some revisions rather than merging a complete
branch, then it will essentially be recorded as a patch with no revision
history, as you've seen.  We plan to improve this, but we haven't got there yet.

-Andrew.