[MERGE] Add stable format names for stacked branches

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 23 01:52:42 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:44 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Martin Pool wrote:
> > This adds new formats --format stacked and stacked-subtree for the branch
> > format that supports stacking, and also a new internal format marker.
>
> I don't think "stacked" is a good name choice, because it is the same as
> the name of option to ``bzr branch`` and ``bzr push`` that causes the
> result to be stacked.
>
> Having ``bzr init --stacked`` mean something different from what ``bzr
> branch --stacked`` means is confusing IMHO.

If I may suggest
pack-1.6
pack-1.6-rich-root
pack-1.6-subtrees

or even
1.6
1.6-rich-root
1.6-subtrees

Any given format may add many capabilities. Naming them after a single
new capability has confused users in the past (because it has implied to
them that later formats are losing capabilities).

Including the version in the name tells people what minium version of
bzr they need to use it.

-Rob