Stacked branching question

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Mon Jul 21 17:23:19 BST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:20:10 +0200
David Ingamells <david.ingamells at mapscape.eu> wrote:

>  My point is exactly that there should be enough information in a
> shallow branch to be able to do a diff and thus derive a delta.
>
> That is what I meant by a _little_ bit of depth. The little bit of
> depth being one revision deep. (In other word not zero revisions
> deep). It is exactly from the use-case you mentioned that I am coming
> from. If you think about what I said should be possible (e.g diff on
> local changes)
>
> it is implicit that there should be something local to diff on (and
> thus provide a basis for the deltas you say are essential)

But in some cases you *don't* want to duplicate past revisions.  Say
you are stacking on another local branch, as you might on a code
hosting server:  then you are trying to save space by not duplicating
data on the server.

And it would be nice to be able to use the entire revision history to
get an optimum delta, rather than only having the past few revisions to
base it on.

Regards,
Colin