Fix Committed/Fix released

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Jul 18 23:18:49 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 14:32 +1000, Jonathan Lange wrote:
>

>> > (I see the Launchpad developers themselves apparently do this, and
>> > also keep many bugs targetted to particular releases even before they
>> > start working on them, which seems to create a huge amount of manual
>> > churn...)
>>
>> Well... we target bugs and specs to milestones. They then work a
>> little like a todo list that we update over a release period. We mark
>> the bugs as fix released after the release, but it's generally not too
>> cumbersome.
>>
>> In terms of manual churn, using Fix Committed to mean fix committed
>> and Fix Released to mean fix released is no worse than your current
>> process. The difference is just that the churn happens at release time
>> rather than at pqm-landing time.

The thing is that the developer can be reasonably expected to be
thinking about that bug when they fix it, and when they get it
review/landed.  I agree there is some extra work to update the bug
record but at least it is part of the regular flow.  To do them all
adds another job for the release manager.

The "churn" thing referred to Launchpad developers apparently spending
updating bugs that slipped from one release to the next.  I wonder if
it would be better to just mark them as 'high' and do them as soon as
possible.  But I wouldn't claim our process is optimal.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>