Bazaar recommended practices

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jul 9 05:55:47 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:56:48PM +0300 I heard the voice of
Alexandros Frantzis, and lo! it spake thus:

> 1. How do you handle small changes to a project: do you create a new
> branch for every small change, have a long standing eg 'trivial'
> branch or change the local branch of trunk directly?
>
> 2. Where do you commit branches to the mainline from: do you merge
> the current (local copy of) trunk into a feature branch and push
> from there, the other way round or perhaps keep a second branch of
> trunk used just for merging and pushing?

The local 'trunk' is a checkout of the main trunk.  Trivial things get
done directly on it.  More involved things get their own branches,
which are landed by merge'ing them into the checkout of trunk and
committing.

The result is a workflow that CAN be exactly like CVS/SVN, but it can
be stepped away from at a moment's notice by doing stuff in a local
branch.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net