ideas for C optimization wanted

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Thu Jul 3 17:36:33 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 09:27 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Actually, we already have some bits written in pyrex and C (pyrex is
> python-like but can be generated into C code to be compiled.)
>
> While you *can* run straight from a tree, running "make" will build the
> extensions and speed up a few common actions.

Can I put in a signpost here.  Some of us run multiple architectures off
the same filestore.  So I have Ubuntu, Solaris and Mac OS X all sharing
a single copy of things -- see NFS can be wonderful.  SCons has very
simple ways of dealing with this sort of compilation situation, Make on
the other hand does not.   Of course selection of architecture at
runtime in this sort of context has to be worried about as well.

If I have to I can run three independent copies of Bazaar simply to deal
with this compilation, but that is definitely the Yuk! solution.

> For tarball releases, we process the pyrex => C, so people don't need
> the pyrex compiler for released code. (Sort of like including
> Makefile.am => Makefile.in so people don't need automake.)

It is good if the entire Autotools are removed and SCons is used
instead, especially on Windows!

> So I'm pretty sure we already have the build process worked out. To
> date, we've always had python fallback code, which is almost definitely
> something we would try to maintain. So you *can* run with 0 setup, but
> with a bit of setup things will work even better.

I bet I can find a corner case that isn't covered -- running Ubuntu,
Solaris and Mac OS X tends to do this sort of thing to you ;-)
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077