overview of stacked branch

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 3 03:57:34 BST 2008

William Dode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's a little bit difficult for me to follow your work about stacked
> branch, but it seems very interesting.  Is there a page on the wiki or
> a thread wich resume this ?

Hi William,

There ought to be some blog articles and doc coming soon after the
code lands. Basic usage will be very simple, e.g. to create a
local branch which is stacked on another:

  bzr branch --stacked source-url local-path

More interesting is pushing a new branch that only contains the
changes from a nominated other branch. In most cases, the branch
to stack on will be implicit. The end result will be something like:

  bzr branch trunk-url
  hack, hack, hack
  bzr push --stacked my-bug-fix-url

I hope that gives you a rough idea of how things will look at the
UI level. Pretty cool, eh!

Ian C.