Evaluating Bazaar in a CVS environment.

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 1 00:31:54 BST 2008

Andy Walker <walkeraj at gmail.com> writes:

> Neil Martinsen-Burrell <nmb <at> wartburg.edu> writes:
>
> > That is correct, although new branches made inside a shared
> > repository are *extremely* space efficient.
>
> I'm fine with the empty directories, but I would be curious as to
> why they would be created if the repository is shared and made with
> --no-trees. Are they basically just a place to hang certain
> branch-specific metadata? If so, why not just store this information
> in the central repository too?

The repository contains revision data, but that's not the only
metadata stored for a branch. The other data is both branch-specific
(can't reasonably store it outside the context of a specific branch)
and small, so it stays in the branch directory.

--
 \       “Crime is contagious… if the government becomes a lawbreaker, |
  `\          it breeds contempt for the law.” —Justice Louis Brandeis |