Mirror-only local branch of bazaar had conflict on pull

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jun 30 22:16:46 BST 2008

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
| Tom Tobin wrote:
|> My local branch of bazaar's trunk, which I only pull to and branch
|> from (i.e., I don't commit to it) had a conflict today when pulling
|> from Launchpad:
|>
|> Conflict: can't delete bzrlib/tests/interversionedfile_implementations
|> because it is not empty.  Not deleting.
|> Conflict: can't delete bzrlib/tests/revisionstore_implementations
|> because it is not empty.  Not deleting.
|> 2 conflicts encountered.
|> Now on revision 3513.
|
| I'm pretty sure this is due to some .pyc files remaining in those
directories
| after the matching .py files were moved/deleted. It is a known issue
| and there was a short email thread above the underlying cause recently
| on the mailing list. I don't know the bug number sorry.
|
| Ian C.

Since people tend not to care about .pyc files, an example where you
might want it to conflict:

$ bzr pull

$ echo "these are my quick notes" > doc/notes.txt
$ bzr pull

At this point if the "doc" directory was deleted, you would have all of
your precious "notes.txt" deleted along with it.

Some people consider "ignored" files as precious, just not committed, so
we err on the side of not nuking the files.

One thing we have considered, is to add another classification (Arch had
it, and while it did some things poorly, it did handle this case.)

		Auto-removed	Committed
Versioned	Y		Y
Ignored		N		N
Junk		Y		N

I think Arch had a couple more classifications.

I'm also not 100% sure who ignores "precious" files, but I could
consider someone versioning /etc to fall under that condition. Where
they don't want to *commit* their ssh_key files, but they would be
really upset if we automatically deleted them.

There are also other possible classifications people might be interested in.

'bzr clean-tree' has one called '--detritus', for stuff like backup
files that bzr creates. The idea is that "bzr clean-tree --detritus"
will delete them, without deleting all of your ignored files. Such as
the ".shelf" or all of the object files that take a long time to rebuild.