PQM Work This Summer

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Jun 30 16:00:35 BST 2008

Martin Pool wrote:

>>  brainstorm this at the London sprint[0], but I'm looking for what
>>  amongst those ideas people consider most important.

two things:

merge directives

what we call the "phantom merge", the thing that means that when
 my merge goes through, the branch I generated the merge from is
 now suddenly out of date wrt. the branch I merged to

> I think all the other points suggested are good, but as an overall
> approach I suggest you look from the point of view of someone new
> setting up pqm, and see what barriers might be in their way.  Is it
> packaged and adequately documented?  If there are things that are hard
> to describe or hard to do correctly that gives you an idea of
> something to improve in the code.  You can also take the approach of
> writing hypothetical docs as if the perfect code already existed then
> looking at the gaps from reality.

With respect, getting this right is crucial but it's really better
(at least documenting the issues) coming from folks who are having
the problems; normally someone who's very familiar with setting up
a moderately complex system already initimately understands the
details and they don't seem unclear/difficult/etc. in the same way.