ssh woes on windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Jun 28 05:29:10 BST 2008

> Paramiko should generally be present, because we need it for sftp
> handling.

Yes, and in the binary we know it will be available.

> I personally prefer to use 'ssh' if it is available, because I already
> have ssh-agent, and a real ssh key, etc.

You prefer ssh over paramiko?  In that case, I don't understand how my example would have worked for you - my example shows the ssh key is not used to authenticate with Launchpad (hence plink can't connect), but instead a couple of extra keys seem to be used by paramiko.  Can ssh.exe connect to launchpad for you?  How about if ssh-agent doesn't have your personal key loaded?

> I would be fine with having an ssh check first, and a plink check last,
> or removing plink in general.

That makes sense if ssh does work for you where plink doesn't for me.  But I'd expect to see the exact same behaviour if I installed ssh-agent locally - finding ssh.exe on my path would be enough to prevent use of paramiko, and lead to the exact same problems.

I'm sure I'm still missing something though...

Thanks,

Mark