Describe your workflow

Alaa Salman alaasalman at terra.net.lb
Fri Jun 27 10:06:42 BST 2008

Spencer Chastain wrote:

| Well, I wouldn't think of them as two branches per se'.  I mean,
| granted, I know that's how we who are familiar with the tool think of
| them, but the developers I'm working with want to think of them as A and
| A-remote with the understanding that there's perhaps a little lag
| between them in terms of revision history.
|
| I think what gets them is doing an update after they push/commit to a
| remote branch.
|
| So, to walk through their work flow:
| - they branch on their windows machines and do development
| - they need to do testing now against testing servers, so they push
| their branch to a remote server.
| - they then do a checkout on the remote branch to build the working tree
| (I think upload will fix the confusion and angst push causes them)
| - they then compile their code and begin server-client testing
| - they then bind their windows branch to the remote server's branch
| - during testing, they decide they need to tweak server side code, so
| they change and commit code on the remote branch
| - now they need to make corresponding client changes, they change and
| commit -- oops! update first, then commit
| - they're working back on the server and they want to see some client
| side changes they made ... but waaaaiiiiit ... it's not there.  panic
| ensues, panic ensues ... oh yes, I need to update the remote branch.
| - repeat
|
| It could be that they're still new, but I do think too that this could
| be easier.  I just don't think the general use case is that I'm pushing
| a branch just to copy the revision history.  It should build the working
| tree automagically and/or merge with the existing working tree
| automagically.
|
| But things are what they are, and we cope.  And this is a world of
| difference (i.e. a tremendously easier world) from what we had, so I'm
| happy to go along with it.

Just a small note to say that for one project, i have a similar workflow.

I think that you can use the new bzr-upload plugin where you don't
actually need to create branch on the remote server and then update your
working tree after each push.(or bzr export and scp) Also, there's
another plugin(i forgot the name) that update the remote working tree
after each push for platforms that support this.

- --
Regards,
Alaa Salman
Entrepreneur,  Contractor, Programmer
http://www.codedemigod.com
FSF Member #6304

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do
the work of one extraordinary man." ---Elbert Hubbard
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was." ---Dag Hammarskjold