Rule-based preferences - format marker RFC, etc.

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Jun 26 01:39:19 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> My personal feeling is to go with glob and disallow RE:, because we can
> just as well use "regex" for that. So you would have:
>
> [glob *.bat]
>
> [regex .*\.bat]
>
> rather than
>
> [for *.bat]
> [for RE:.*\.bat]

> So my first vote is to go with glob/regex/id, my second is probably
> "name" to define what you are trying to match rather than trying to make
> it an English sentence.

Damn. I've just pulled 'patterns' out as a separate help topic that
both rules and ignore refer to based on the fact that the pattern language
is shared. I wonder also whether regular expressions might be useful for
ids, particularly in the BZR_HOME/rules file. It would allow us to
set preferences just for files managed by bzr-svn say ...

  [id RE:^svn:]

It sounds like 'for' feels too much like a looping construct so I'll
switch to 'name'.

Ian C.