screencasts.bazaar-vcs.org

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Jun 20 03:26:33 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:19 AM, James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> wrote:
> Myself and Elliot have been talking recently about screencasts,
> and I was wondering if we could have a screencasts.bazaar-vcs.org
> domain, with some associated hosting to store our work.

Yes, I'd be happy to give you both the domain and some kind of hosting
for it.  The question would be what we want it to look like.

> I'd like to make it more of a site than just dumping the videos
> there, but it should perhaps be integrated with docs.bazaar-vcs.org,
> what do you think? Can anyone see a good way to integrate the
> screencasts in to the existing documentation that would supplement
> what is there?

At the moment the doc site is a bit dry, since it contains rendered
forms of what was in the source tree for various releases.  The main
jumping-off point for it is bazaar-vcs.org/Documentation.  You could
certainly link the docs from there.  Generally the in-tree
documentation is the more official or somewhat more formal stuff.

I guess it depends a bit on whether the screencast is going to be a
demo of Bazaar, or more of a tutorial.  In the second case it would
certainly make sense to put it on the documentation page, and we could
also link it from the 'tutorials' section of the various documentation
pages.

Perhaps a good way would be to actually make screencasts.b.o run
wordpress or some similar software.  Then several authorized people
can post and people can subscribe for news and also comment, etc.

As Ben says they should be technically accessible to people running
purely-free software.  (It may be no one format fits everyone.)

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>