more debian (and other) packaging of plugins?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Thu Jun 12 22:05:33 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> |> I feel we've been doing reasonably well at getting bzr and bzrtools
> |> releases into the Launchpad PPA fairly quickly, but we could take this
> |> a bit further:
> |>
> |>  * packaging more plugins (either individually or as a big bundle bzr-plugins?)
> |
> | This would imply that each time a plugin is updated we need to reupload
> | all plugins. Moreover we would need some way to sort bugreports among
> | the plugins there.
> |

> If they were packaged individually, with a meta-package that installed them all,
> would you need to upload all of them each time? It seems like the meta can just
> depend on either *any* version or version >= XXX, which will be satisfied with a
> newer version.

Martins intention was to get the plugins updated more quickly. Since
maintaining plugins in individual packages increase maintenance labor I
don't think your proposal would help here.

> | How about granting more developers access to the bzr PPA? I think at
> | least the pkg-bazaar packaging group on alioth should have, but I don't
> | see any particular reason to not also allow all motus to upload there.
> |
> | Moreover I'd like to see the packaging branches for the pkg-bazaar group
> | packages shared with the PPA packages. They are currently hosted on
> | bzr.debian.org, and I could imagine that we can mirror them on launchpad.
> |

> Everyone who is on the '~bzr' team has access to the PPA, I wouldn't really want
> to open it up more than that (and we have certainly discussed restricting it more).

Could you please elaborate on that? You obviously trust members of
pkg-bazaar to properly maintain bazaar related packages in debian (and
therefore ubuntu) but not in the PPA?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4