bzr log --short ... is not.

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jun 11 20:58:45 BST 2008

Colin D Bennett wrote:
| On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:58:56 -0500
| Russ Brown <pickscrape at gmail.com> wrote:
|> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
|>> name for the
|>> shortened or |> | laid out in a short manner. --mainline clearly
|>> indicates that the |> | information you see is only for the
|>> mainline and does not include the |> | merged revisions.
|>> |> |
|>> |
|>> |
|>> and date |> is put
|>> sections, etc.
|>> |
|>> be gained |> by that.
|>> |
|>> |
|>> brief | line that describes the change. Following that is a more
|>> in-depth | overview. I know that others also follow this practice.
|>> |

|>> Hence we have "bzr log --line".
|>>
|>> John
|>> =:->
|> - --line might be what the OP is actually looking for then?
|
| Yes, I got confused. :-(  Sorry to bother you, I was in a hurry when I
| posted the question.  I forgot what --short actually did.
|

| On that topic, it might be nice to have an in-between option, e.g., a
| two-line-per revision that uses the first line of the commit message,
| like:
|
|  770: Colin D Bennett 2008-06-10
|  Completed high resolution TSC timer implementation for x86 arch.
|
| Because often the 'log --line' output truncates the commit message to
| such a degree that it is hard to tell what it is and 50% more space
| might help.

Well, we do detect the width of your terminal. So if you need 50% more space,
try making your term a bit wider. :)

| I'm not asking anyone to do anything, just musing over possible
| improvements.  Maybe I'll play with this in my spare time.
|
| Colin

The code should be fairly pluggable. You should be able to just register a new
LogFormatter and have it available as "bzr log --format=XXX" (or even just
- --XXX). As an interesting side effect, it will also show up for "bzr missing"
and a few other commands that use that registry.