bzr log --short ... is not.

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Jun 11 16:37:06 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 07:47 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> I'm using Tailor to pull from an upstream CVS server into my local
> bzr branch.  It works ok, but I found a quirk that I must assume bzr is
> partly responsible for:  when I do bzr log --short, the revision commit
> message for revisions that tailor created are printed in full.
>
> An example of 'bzr log --short' output is attached.
>
> Is this Bazaar's fault, or is Tailor doing something wrong when it
> commits the revisions?

That to me just looks like long commit messages. Can I explain what
the purpose of --short is, just so there is no confusion over it?

The default log formatter (--long), prints merged revisions indented
under the revisions that merged them, so you would get:

  revno: 324
    message of 324
    ------------------------------
    revno: 315.1.3
    message of 315.1.3
    ------------------------------
    revno: 315.1.2
    message of 315.1.2
  revno: 323
   message of 323

--short doesn't print the merged revisions and also compacts some of the
metadata that is shown, but doesn't trim the messages in any way.

--line prints only a single line for each revision, with only the first
line of the message shown.

Are you expecting --short to trim the messages as well?

Thanks,

James