[merge] various developer process docs

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Jun 11 03:28:30 BST 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Michael Hudson
<michael.hudson at canonical.com> wrote:
> This mention reminded me to update the version of pydoctor that generates these docs.  The main difference that affects bzrlib is the de-emphasizing of _private names -- have a look around and see what you
think.

Thanks, that is an improvement.

I have to admit I usually look at the source directly rather than the
generated version, but I still like the conventions to be followed and
people do have different preferences.  It does give a different
perspective, a bit like seeing code printed out.

> I've also spent a little while fiddling to get the 'editing' version of pydoctor working behind apache, and chucked an instance up here:
>
>    http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/bzrlibapi-oe/
>
> If you browse this version of the documentation, it should look almost the same as the version linked to above -- but by each docstring there is an 'Edit' button that let's you, well, edit the docstring.  You can also see the list of all changes made and get a diff containing them and so on.  Please, kick the tires and see what you think -- I guess even if useful edits get made they won't be suitable for submission to Bazaar for copyright reasons -- and let me know of any problems you find or feature ideas you have.

I don't think copyright is any problem as long as the contributors are
happy for us to ship it.  I suspect that most people who could make
corrections would be happy just sending a patch directly but I'd
certainly welcome questions about things that might be unclear.

Thanks for the reviews.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>