[loggerhead/MERGE] Switch Loggerhead from KID to ZPT template engine

Aaron Bentley aaron at aaronbentley.com
Tue Jun 10 16:30:29 BST 2008

Martin Albisetti wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> wrote:
>>> The short answer is yes.
>>> It requires an extra dependency, and it's currently only packaged for
>>> python 2.4 in Hardy, so it forces us to stick with python 2.4.
>> What package?  I'm having trouble finding it on my Hardy despite having
>> Launchpad installed there.
>>
>> Does zope provide the templating as a separate piece, or are we dragging
>> most of zope in as a dependency?
>
> We seem to be dragging in Zope as a dependency.

Considering how much people kick and scream about TurboGears and its
dependencies, it doesn't seem advisable to depend on Zope as well.

Again, I ask, what package is supplying TAL for you?

My computer has simpletal installed:

Package: python-simpletal
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 4.1-6
Section: python
Maintainer: Igor Stroh <jenner at debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 332k
Depends: python (>= 2.2), python-support (>= 0.2)
Conflicts: python2.3-simpletal, python2.4-simpletal
Replaces: python2.3-simpletal, python2.4-simpletal
Provides: python2.4-simpletal

It doesn't seem to require zope or python2.4, so if its performance
matches what you're using, then we should use it instead.  Even without
equivalent performance, it could provide a way for non-Launchpad users
to run Loggerhead-on-tal.

>> I can see *supporting* zpt as a tradeoff.  At this point I'm not certain
>> we should be ditching kid at the same time.  At least, not in Loggerhead
>> trunk.
>
> Code is a mess as-is, not sure that allowing to choose templating
> engines will help in that area.

I am concerned about being a good neighbour.  I don't want to repeat
what happened with cscvs, where Canonical took an open-source project
and made newer versions proprietary (eventually open-sourcing it again).

I'm fine if we want to branch loggerhead and make a loggerhead-tal
branch, until we settle on a permanent strategy.

Most of the changes you made look fairly mechanical, though.  I would
think they could be accomplished by wrapping expose to prepend "zpt:" to
the template parameter.  (I'm actually surprised it's necessary.  I
would have thought setting the default templating engine to zpt would do
the trick.)

> I'll look into a few more templating engines, and see if I can come up
> with something better.

Cool.  I'm not specifically objecting to zpt, though.  Just trying to
ensure that our strategy keeps Loggerhead accessible to non-Launchpad users.

Aaron