[loggerhead/MERGE] Switch Loggerhead from KID to ZPT template engine

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Jun 10 13:46:44 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:15:52PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 03:21 -0300, Martin Albisetti wrote:
> >
> > It requires an extra dependency, and it's currently only packaged for
> > python 2.4 in Hardy, so it forces us to stick with python 2.4.
>
> Ouch: I spent many hours getting loggerhead on squid-cache.org up with
> python 2.5. (Thats FreeBSD). Is it a hard dependency, or just a
> packaging issue?

AFAIK Zope page templates use RestrictedPython which doesn't work on 2.5
for nontrivial reasons (the different AST implementation).

On the other hand, http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/Zope3UsingPython25 claims
zope.pagetemplate (and zope.tal) have been successfully ported to 2.5,
so I don't know.

Also, you don't *have* to use RestrictedPython in your templates.  These
were designed for Zope 2 where end-users could upload templates
containing Python code through a web form.  It isn't hard to disable the
RestrictedPython dependency and use zope.pagetemplate in trusted mode.

Marius Gedminas
--
Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.