[loggerhead/MERGE] Switch Loggerhead from KID to ZPT template engine

Martin Albisetti argentina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 07:21:53 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:15 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 02:06 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>
>> Is this going to make it harder for normal users to run Loggerhead?
>
> Can it get harder? :)

The short answer is yes.
It requires an extra dependency, and it's currently only packaged for
python 2.4 in Hardy, so it forces us to stick with python 2.4.

This is far from ideal, but, today, it's a tradeoff to get closer to
decent performance. Part if the work I'd like to do is making
Loggerhead easier to install, ideally a simple .deb, so dropping as
many dependencies as possible is one of our main objectives, and there
is a plan layed out to do so incrementally. A proper INSTALL and
setup.py would already be a huge step forward.

I'm not set on ZPT yet, I have a few more templating engines to toy
with (Genshi performed worst, against our expectations), and I'm
willing to put in the work for a better (or equally) performing
engine, that's easier on the dependency side.
In fact, making it into a plugin for bzr is in the horizon, so at some
point it would be good to see if we can even drop Turbogears.

As a first stage, to reward those who get past installing it by making
it usable-ish, this seemed like a good step to take.

Oh, and making it not die a horrible death a few times a day on LP is
an added bonus  :)

That said, if anyone has any leads for me to follow, please, let me know!

Martin