non-recursive status of a directory?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Jun 10 07:00:45 BST 2008

On 6/10/08, Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:

> I'm not that concerned about responsiveness for "real-time" changes that are happening on the file-system (ie, the "watcher") - its more about getting the initial state icons up in the shortest possible (wall) time while browsing in from the root of a tree.

So if the tradeoff is that: there is a delay proportional to 'bzr st'
time, then all of the icons appear, I think that would be a reasonable
tradeoff for the first release.  I think it would only really bite if
during that delay Explorer was totally unresponsive and from my
understanding of your documents that's not on the cards.

If we start out this way would it be particularly hard to change?  You
said above that it's not blocking you yet, so maybe we should get it
going just using one whole-tree scan and then if it is clearly the
biggest issue we'll fix it.

Remember that tsvn has been around for quite a few years now, and
while they've certainly learned some useful lessons in general some of
them will be specific to the svn performance characteristics which as
others have said are a bit different to ours.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>