[MERGE] Faster local branching, checkout
aaron at aaronbentley.com
Fri Jun 6 20:13:39 BST 2008
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
With Ian's encouragement, I've hacked up a branch that implements his
performance improvements, but does it in a safer and more general way.
Ian's key observation is: generating an inventory delta is a significant
portion of our build_tree time, and is basically redundant. Also, chmod
While I believe that we can improve on this in the general case, Ian is
right that we cannot expect to easily attain the same performance we get
from simply reusing our existing inventory entries.
The performance I get from a Mozilla tree is basically the same as ian's
patch, because the changes have similar results:
- - When conflicts are encountered, precomputed deltas are not used
- - A single, parameterizable code path is used, instead of two code paths
- - Instead of toggling existing file handling, my version makes existing
file handling scale with the number of existing files.
- - Naming doesn't assume that precomputed deltas can only be used when
- - I did not speed up iter_references. That can come as a separate
I also restored a cleanup whose lack was causing test kipple.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 25587 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/attachments/20080606/ac545152/attachment-0001.bin
More information about the bazaar