some newbie questions

Erik erik at softwaresociety.nl
Fri Jun 6 15:29:47 BST 2008

Hi All,

I have successfully implemented bazaar yesterday as the vcs of choice in our
company. I have a few questions though, which I couldn't get easily from the
manual. I hope you guys can help me out.

We have 3 developers and we are working on a web-project under Windows. We
have a central webserver with a dev-version of the site.
Now, since we started using bazaar, we all develop locally under IIS on our
own workstations. I started out explaining bazaar by versioning the central
location on the server and using merge/commit/push on the workstations to
publish changes. After that, we all used BIND to bind the remote branch on the
server to our local situation. This works, we now use update/commit to publish.
My colleagues can commit and I can update to see their changes on my local
machine.

What I noticed however, is that the files on the server don't change. The
-changes- we commit are stored (in the bazaar repository on the server I
guess), but the files on the server aren't updated, until I start a
command prompt on the server and do a "bzr update" there. This is favorable so
that our testers can simply take a look at the central server to see the
current situation. Is there a way to automate this? Do I need a hook for this,
 or is there an easier way to have the files on the server update as soon as
someone commits from their respective checkout?

Furthermore, I'm wondering if there is a functionality in bazaar that lets me
revert all files to a previous revision, just to test, and then lets me
change back to the latest point again. I would like to see sometimes how a
certain revision of the site used to work at that point. What commands should
I use there?

Third question is if it is possible to push a specific bugfix to different
trees. For example, we have a DEV a TEST and a LIVE environment. If we have a
critical bugfix for the live environment, can I just fix it on the DEV
environment and then push only this bugfix to test and live aswell? (in effect
skipping some other revisions that will be released later)?

Thanks in advance,
Erik