Bazaar repository size benchmarks

Christophe TROESTLER Christophe.Troestler+bzr at umh.ac.be
Tue Jun 3 21:28:01 BST 2008

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:09:54 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> You need to be using an editor that breaks hard-links on save to use this
> >> feature safely. Or a more manual process, of course.
>
> > It would be really nice if some tips on how to achieve that were added
> > to http://bazaar-vcs.org/EmacsTips (if possible, only for files under
> > bzr so as not to change emacs 22 default behavior).
>
> Such things could also be added directly to Emacs's vc-bzr.el (or vc.el
> if it's not specific to Bzr).  Although my opinion is that using
> hardlinks like that is just a bad idea.

I agree that hard links are a bad idea (high risk) but avoiding the
replication of an entire working tree to develop a feature (which may
modify only a few files) is also good to have.

What about the following scheme: have a repository with all your
branches but --no-trees and have a directory where one does
--lightweight checkouts?  To be convenient one certainly would like a
--replace (or such) option so that the directory discards the old
checkout and replaces it with the new one (and choke if there are
uncommited changes).  Or maybe a plugin could support this well?

My 0.02€,
ChriS