mpdiffs, bundles and ghosts

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Jun 2 04:55:25 BST 2008

I have a question about the handling of ghosts in mpdiff generation.

It appears that in the presence of ghosts, parents are not diffed
against.

But, those same parents are used when applying the diff. I believe this
can cause problems:

source tree - say it has:
tip:[left, middle, right], middle is a ghost

target tree:
left: [base]
middle: [base]
right: [base]
(that is, no ghosts)

a mpdiff of tip will reuse text from right by referring to it as 'parent
1'

During application to the target,  text from middle will be used
(because middle is parent 1).

Equally, differing parent orders in two repositories can cause confusion
as well.

Or have I missed something ?

The root issue AFAICT is that mpdiffs operate solely on text, without
awareness of parents.

-Rob