Bazaar repository size benchmarks

Pieter de Bie frimmirf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 14:19:42 BST 2008

Hello,

I did some benchmarks on repository size for repositories with full
history. I compared the size of Git, Bazaar as well as Mercurial
repositories. The results of this experiment can be seen here:
http://vcscompare.blogspot.com/2008/06/git-mercurial-bazaar-repository-size.html

The short conclusion is that Bazaar comes out last in the test. It's
repositories are on average 2.8 times as big as those of Git.
Mercurial also does better.

This should be put in contrast with
http://bazaar-vcs.org/Benchmarks/SpaceEfficiency , where Bazaar comes
out on top. The reason for this is that my benchmarks include full
repository history and also pack the repository before measuring
repository size. Furthermore, the SpaceEfficiency benchmark does not
take hardlinks in account (which Git uses when cloning a repository).

I think I did a more realistic comparison of repository size. As such,
is it perhaps necessary to update the benchmark page and the front
page (which states that "Bazaar's default storage format is highly
efficient, better than its main competitors in most cases")?

- Pieter