Windows/Python builds of 1.5

Adrian Wilkins adrian.wilkins at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:18:58 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Adrian Wilkins wrote:
<snip>

> I'm working on making them right now. I'll probably just stick with the
> mingw
> builds because it is easier.

I can't really see any technical reasons for changing, to be honest ;
I'm sure the loops that are in those extensions are pretty tight and
have minimal dependencies. The MS compiler was easy for me because
that's what I had configured in my distutils and since it worked I
didn't look back (although I also have the mingw environment available).

> We are looking for a community maintainer for them, so if you are
> interested, we
> can probably work something out. I believe you are fairly new to the
> community,
> though you seem to be knowledgeable and helpful. But it takes a bit of
> trust to
> have someone generate an exe that is going to be run on lots of people's
> machines. (And as an installer, it is expected to run with admin
> privileges.)
>
> So while I would be happy to have someone else doing the work, for this
> release
> at least, I'll put the package together.

Completely understand ; 'tis a nasty dirty world we live in and trust
needs earning.

If the output of the builds are deterministic and not dependent on
things like build time, I'd probably even advocate that two or more
people build them and relevant hashes are compared ; this would make it
harder to slip in a trojan without collusion between the packagers.

You might even want to just delegate the building to a Windows VM
tailored for the purpose with a continuous integration server and build
environment. If you rigged it well, you could have it boot, fetch the
latest release branch, build, package, and push, (or notify someone of
trouble), then shut down, thus enabling it to be wrapped into a build
script.

An official build will be welcome ; I'm not sure I trust myself ;-)

I don't mind building the packages, it seems the donkey work is already
done and it took less than 20 seconds here, after I got the dependencies
sorted out. I'm sure the red tape takes a little longer.

I'm very happy to be using bzr ; not least of which it's enabling my
current project to proceed without me having to worry about rewriting
merge tracking for SVN (1.5 notwithstanding, it still lacks some
features, and it won't be released within my milestones), and much
faster than SVN over the large working tree (about 60MB and 3700 files).
Version control is an intrinsic part of the project with changeset
reports a central requirement. I started using bzr instead of svk almost
as soon as I began experimenting with it (and after svk fatally choked
on a fairly simple merge), this after trialling Mercurial, monotone and git.
- -- FLATTERY BLOCK ENDS HERE --   ;-)

Onwards....

Adrian