Issues building deb files

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue May 27 14:31:17 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 07:38 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> ======== BzrTools_Unstable ====
> Running in merge mode
> Building using working tree
> Preparing the build area: ../build-area
> Exporting to ../build-area/bzrtools-1.5.0 in merge mode
> Looking for ../tarballs/bzrtools_1.5.0.orig.tar.gz to use as upstream
> source
> bzr: ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '../tarballs'

That is

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr-builddeb/+bug/223948

> ======== Bzr_Unstable ====
> Running in merge mode
> Building using working tree
> Preparing the build area: ../build-area
> Exporting to ../build-area/bzr-1.5 in merge mode
> Looking for ../tarballs/bzr_1.5.orig.tar.gz to use as upstream source
> Using uscan to look for the upstream tarball
> bzr: remote site does not even have current version
> bzr: ERROR: A Debian packaging error occurred: Could not find the
> upstream tarball after uscan downloaded it.

There appear to be a couple of bugs in uscan, or perhaps it's not
supposed to do the things that I am trying to get it to do.

> I retried bzrtools since the tarballs directory got created and:
>
> ======== BzrTools_Unstable ====
> Running in merge mode
> Building using working tree
> Preparing the build area: ../build-area
> Exporting to ../build-area/bzrtools-1.5.0 in merge mode
> Looking for ../tarballs/bzrtools_1.5.0.orig.tar.gz to use as upstream
> source
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Need to get 94.0kB of source archives.
> Get: 1 http://ppa.launchpad.net hardy/main bzrtools
> 1.5.0-1~bazaar1~hardy1 (tar) [94.0kB]
> Fetched 94.0kB in 0s (476kB/s)
> bzr: ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '../tarballs/bzrtools_1.5.0.orig.tar.gz'

This is a problem with the approach of downloading the .orig.tar.gz
from the archive. I thought that it specifies the version that it
wants, but either I was wrong, or there is a bug in apt here.

If you could file these two issues as bugs at

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-builddeb/+filebug

I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

James