[merge] errors in deleting obsolete packs should not be fatal (was Re: Problems with NFS mounted filestore)

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Mon May 26 18:01:01 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 13:40 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:

> Thanks for the report.  This is a new bug.
>
> Could you please try merging this patch?

Looks like I don't need to submit a bug report :-)

I tried the patch and by ignoring deletion of the .nfs files, the branch
completes satisfactorily, so this is certainly a workaround.

> The .nfs* files are NFS internal housekeeping for files that have been
> deleted by one client but that are still in use by another.  More
> generally, if we fail to delete one of these leftover files it
> shouldn't be considered a fatal error.  I think if the client(?)
> abruptly disconnects they can be left behind for a long time.
>
> Arguably we should just specifically ignore all .nfs* files.

Certainly they should go away when the process that holds an open on the
deleted file goes away.  However, I would suggest it would be a good
idea to find what the problem is.

I wonder if the following gives any useful hints:

|> ps ax | grep bzr
10367 ?        S      0:00 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/bzr dbus-broadcast
18310 pts/15   S+     0:00 tail -f .bzr.log
18507 pts/16   S+     0:12
python /home/users/russel/Repositories/Bazaar/Branches/Bzr/MartinsNFSPatch/bzr branch svn+ssh://www.concertant.com/home/subversion_repositories/ConcertantLLP
18547 pts/6    R+     0:00 grep bzr

Is process 10367 a candidate for a process getting a handle on files
being deleted?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077