help requested for stitching the history of 3 VCSes

Tom Widmer tom.widmer at googlemail.com
Tue May 20 13:19:34 BST 2008

Jeff wrote:
> Hello, I have some nice puzzle for you folks. There is a project called
> Specto <specto.sf.net>, which, across its lifetime, used 3 different
> version control systems. Those are CVS, Subversion and Bazaar. And each
> time, we did not keep the history.
>
>    1. cvs: https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/specto/cvs-main
>    2. svn: http://specto.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
>    3. bzr: https://code.launchpad.net/~woutc/specto/specto-woutc
>
> Those are the various repositories that have been used for developing
> Specto, from the oldest to the newest. In theory, the code should be
> compatible, it's just that we did not migrate the history metadata
> between them.
[snip]
> How do you know bzr did it right (which it certainly didn't in this
> case)? why does it say +N when that file should have been marked
> moved/modified/whatever? It is highly suspicious. Any help would be much
> appreciated as I'm pretty much a bzr (and VCS) newbie and increasingly
> confused here. So yeah, how do I go about stitching those branches
> together properly without doing something stupid? Am I even doing it in
> the right direction?

Git might make this easier - the fact that it tracks content rather than
files might make the merge easier for you, not to mention the built-in
rebase functionality. You might consider doing the stitching in Git, and
then converting the resulting Git repo into Bzr.

It might be possible in Bzr, but I think it will probably be easier with
Git (note I don't use either much yet!).

Tom