Any ETA for the nested-subtrees code?

Frits Jalvingh jal at etc.to
Tue May 20 13:01:28 BST 2008

On Monday 19 May 2008 15:30:37 Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> > Is there any estimated time when the nested subtrees format will land in
> > a non-experimental Bazaar version?
> It's a feature many of us are looking forward to. I can't give you a
> timeframe sorry.
Ok; pity. I had real hope for that one.

> In the meantime, have you looked into ConfigManager? See
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/ConfigManager.
I looked into it, but it seems useful only for constructing a working copy off
several repositories and that is never a problem. The problem is that when a
product is constructed from several subproducts, each in a separate
repository (because they are re-used over several main products) we need to
retain the /version/ of each subproduct used in the main product's branch at
a specific version. So that if I checkout an old release of the main product
I get the versions of the products used /at that time/ instead of the last
versions on the branches for those versions....

I work in Java, and this gets used very heavily - a typical product uses 15+
other branches of shared libraries....

With an ETA I could make a better judgement on whether and when to move to
Bazaar which would really make day-to-day work easier (subversion merging is
completely unusable). I'll go and try out Mercurial's Forest extension - hope
that'll be usable but I'll sure miss bzr. Thanks anyway for your answer.

Frits