Bazaar performance

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun May 18 08:04:12 BST 2008

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Ian Clatworthy wrote (2008-05-18 10:47 +1000):
>

>> The text was correct at the time it was written. Feel free to update
>> it.

I think that presenting git's speed as an earlier advantage is
misleading. Git is still one order of magnitude faster than bzr for
almost all the operations for big projects and projects with big
histories. At least, it should state that bzr used to be slow for
working tree operations (before pack), and is now usable of big trees.
Something like (sorry for the syntax, English is not my native language):

"It's true that Git is really fast at many operations and that Bazaar
was once quite slow. We made some big progress, and Our comprehensive
performance benchmarks <http://bazaar-vcs.org/Benchmarks> show that bzr
is fast enough for a large spectrum of projects when working on the
working tree. It is still a bit slow for big histories (> 10 000
changesets), but we are currently working on it (and already made good
progress for commands like log, blame and diff for a given set of
revisions since bzr 1.3). Git is also likely to be faster than Bazaar
for network operations but we expect that difference to disappear by Q2
2008."

cheers,

David