Bazaar performance

Guido Ostkamp bazaar at ostkamp.fastmail.fm
Sat May 17 19:49:04 BST 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> You *really* need to run bzr pack before running performance tests on
> the repository we generated via that import. In the process of getting
> the conversion done, we created a *huge* number of pack files (rather
> than 1 per 10k as fastimport would normally do).
>
> After running 'bzr pack', I suspect Bazaar's performance will be much
> better. Thanks to John for his email recommending the same thing - the
> penny dropped when I saw his suggestion.

Ian, I rechecked after applying a 'bzr pack' on the original repo.

The times for cloning operations improved a bit:

Cloning from remote host via ssh/sftp:

Bazaar:    4:04 min   (bzr clone sftp://...)
Mercurial: 3:39 min   (hg clone ssh://...)
Git:       1:23 min   (git clone ssh://...)

Cloning new local branch:

Bazaar:    2:22 min   (bzr clone master branch # in shared repo)
Mercurial: 0:29 min   (hg clone master branch)
Git:       0:07 min   (git clone master branch)

However, regarding the times for 'log -v', 'add + commit' and 'remove +
commit' there have been no significant changes in timings (I did a 'bzr
pack' on the repo where I performed this local operations before executing
them, just to be sure).

Just out of interest: Could it be that 'cloning' automatically performs a
'bzr pack' for the resulting repository?

I also had a short look at the memory usage while doing a 'log -v' and
found that 'top' reported a maximum of ~137 MB for this task.

Do you have an idea why it takes that much memory for this operation?

Regards

Guido