Bazaar experimental branch removal (repost)

Guido Ostkamp bazaar at ostkamp.fastmail.fm
Sat May 17 00:17:21 BST 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Revisions are stored very efficiently so it's not a practical issue for
> most people. Your case could be different though - you seem to be
> versioning some very large (binary?) files, yes?
>
> Keep in mind as well that Bazaar doesn't ship around whole repos (like
> Git does) - it ships around just the branches you ask it too. If you
> never push/pull that crazy-idea branch elsewhere, it's revisions won't
> take up space in anyone's repo except yours.

Thanks for responding, Ian.

My use case might indeed be somewhat special. Let me explain briefly:

I am developing Unix/Linux software in $large_company; as everyone I'm
bound to company rules and thus I must live with a Windows-box on my desk
(sigh!). So local development is impossible, we have to do everything on
Solaris servers in our testlab, which are used for a rather long time, and
diskspace there is very expensive (a replacement for a Sun server HD even
with low capacity compared to todays standards can cost a huge amount of
money). So we are all bound to restrictive disk quotas, some of us have to
live with just a few Gigabytes (meaning 2-8 GB). I know, this sounds
ridiculous low, compared to nowadays disk capacities for new PCs, but it
is as it is, we have to live with it. With ClearCase you only have to
store compilation results and checked out files locally, everything else
meaning all history and top-level files are stored in the special
ClearCase filesystem not under the quota.

I'm using DVCS as a secondary VCS for quick development as branching in
ClearCase is not an option. Still, I want to have history at my fingertips
in DVCS, thus I don't create a fresh repo from current version, but keep a
shadow DVCS repo in sync with ClearCase at least for the mainline.

As you have already guessed correctly, we also have some large files in
the repo. Sometimes things are only available as binary, but need to be
packaged and delivered by us or are used in our productions.

So, space consumption really matters, when I create branches and when I no
longer need them.

> That's right. FWIW, Robert Collins is working on "stacked branches" that
> *might* be just what you want. If not, it will be the basis of "shallow
> branches" that might be as well. :-)

Hm. I tried to understand what it is through reading historic articles on
the list; however I'm not sure I understood it correctly.

Some of the stuff appears to deal with downloading history records in the
background while providing a working tree for a clone immediately. I don't
see how this could help me.

This would be different, if I could have a branch, where changes are
committed locally, while the earlier history remains where it was - in the
branch it was cloned from.

Regards

Guido