Degraded/erroneous behaviour when using HTTP proxy (was: Transport error: Server refuses to fullfil the request)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 16 03:19:58 BST 2008

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> bzr> branch http://people.debian.org/~mvo/bzr/python-apt/python-apt--debian-sid/
> Working tree format 3 is deprecated and a better format is available.
> It is recommended that you upgrade by running the command
>   bzr upgrade http://people.debian.org/%7Emvo/bzr/python-apt/python-apt--debian-sid/
> Transport error: Server refuses to fullfil the request

When I disable the use of an HTTP proxy, this same command succeeds.

Other messages in this thread also reveal that 'bzr' is making many
more requests (because many requests are rejected) via a proxy than
without a proxy.

Why would these effects occur? I don't want to have to disable my
proxy for 'bzr' to work correctly.

--
 \         "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, |
  `\     Brain, but I find scratching just makes it worse."  -- _Pinky |