Changing a commit message

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 13 15:14:35 BST 2008

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <raul at dervishd.net> writes:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:43:13 +1000, Ben Finney dixit:
> > [wanting to change commit messages] is at odds with wanting to
> > change history in the first place. Surely if wanting the commit
> > history to be unchanged, one would also want the commit messages
> > to be unchanged.
>
> Probably, but I want the commit history unchanged and the commit
> messages without typos ;)

The commit message is part of the revision data.

> As I told, I come from a centralized VS and I have to change my way
> of work and think. In the future, I'll try to be much more careful
> with commit messages.

A better way to change your way of thinking would be to accept that
the commit messages are part of history, that a VCS is designed to
record history, and abandon the idea of trying to change history.

> Thanks for the answer :)

Hope that helps.

--
 \            "Beware of and eschew pompous prolixity."  -- Charles A. |
  `\                                                         Beardsley |