Questions about Bundle Buggy

Russ Brown pickscrape at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:51:03 BST 2008

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> Russ Brown wrote:
> | Thank you both for your replies.
> |
> | Aaron Bentley wrote:
> (repository) at
> codebases,
> |
> | Bundle Buggy does not support multiple projects at the moment, but that
> | is a feature I hope to introduce.
> |

> |> That would be fantastic. We're on the verge of migrating and need to
> |> make decisions about how to structure the code we have (which is
> |> currently in one monolithic subversion repository). My preference is to
> |> break it logically but we only want to do that if the tools are will be
> |> using (hopefully including BB) support it.
> |
> |> Then again, I suppose we could start with one repository and then split
> |> it up later as the tools support it.
>
> It is generally better to start split and join things together. Just
> because of
> the size of history issues. When you split a project in bzr, it still
> references
> the full history (unless you regenerate the whole branch, at which time
> it is
> incompatible with your other work.)

Regeneration wouldn't be a problem when wanting to split. For some
context, I'm dealing with what was originally a CVS repository, which
the company put *everything* as top-level modules. Many of these modules
are completely unrelated to each other, and ideally I would like them to
live in separate repositories. But for simplicity I think I'm leaning
towards migrating them as is and splitting them out later.

> same
> |
> |> (From John's reply:)
> |
> |>  > BB only tracks patches to be merged. I believe it has to be set up as
> |>  > 1 queue per destination branch.
> |
> |> So does this mean if a new branch is created, there needs to be a manual
> |> action taken to 'register' the branch in BB? We're not sure yet if we'll
> |> be using BB to only handle the review of commits to mainline, or if our
> |> developers will need to get review on all branches. The answer to this
> |> question would likely have some bearing what we do there.
>
> BB is designed to track merges into 1 target. Such that it can tell when
> things
> have and have not been merged there. (Automatically setting the "Merged"
> flag,
> and clearing it out of the queue.)
>
> I believe it would let you send patches for other branches, and just
> require you
> to manually hit the "Already Merged" button.

I think I'm basically going to need to get my hands dirty and have a
play. :)

Thanks again.